Engadine District Youth Service (EDYS)
EDYS is one of the Shire’s premier Youth Centres, located in the heart of Engadine right near public transport. It’s a great place for young people to relax with friends, use the internet, get involved with fun activities, learn new skills, and chat to qualified youth workers about what’s important to them. There is also a Café, offering inexpensive food and drinks, making it the ideal hang out place for teens in the Shire.
EDYS offers information, support and activities that encourage informed decision making and allow Young People to explore challenges and experience differences in a professional, respectful and inclusive environment. EDYS is a safe, non-judgmental place that is alcohol and drug free. The services EDYS provide are free, primarily designed for young people aged 11 to 18 years. Staff at EDYS understand the important role parents, carers, families and other adults play in the lives of young people so some of our services and activities are also available to them as well.
The key services available to young people through EDYS include:
- Information, Support, Advocacy and Referral for issues such as alcohol & other drugs, counselling, relationships, sexual health, mental health, accommodation, employment/job seeking & court support to young people
- Family Support through the provision of information, support and referral to parents and carers as well as young people
- Vida Lounge is a Youth Café that sells inexpensive food and drinks providing young people with a safe, relevant and fun space to hang out and meet friends. Vida Lounge also incorporates a Life skills and Hospitality program from time to time.
- Drop In operates after school hours and provides a supervised space for young people to hang out with friends, play pool or just relax and be themselves.
- After School and School Holiday Activities including Arts/Media projects, which offer creative, positive and fun opportunities for young people.
- Access to Technology including internet & computers, audio mixing and digital recording equipment.
- School Outreach with the support of local High Schools EDYS staff are available to students (and teachers) on school grounds as well as to facilitate groups (topics have included Financial Literacy, Relationships & Resilience)
Through various activities and practices, such as community development, referral, case management and group work, EDYS encourages and supports young people to make informed decisions about their lives as well as advocates on their behalf in relation to broader Youth Issues.
To find out more about EDYS, please visit their website at www.edys.com.au or you can call them directly at 9548 2734.