What is LoveBites?
LoveBites is an extremely successful school based domestic and family violence, sexual assault and consent awareness education program, targeted at 15-17 year old high school students (Years 10-11).
Held in local high schools in the Sutherland Shire by trained facilitators, the respectful relationships program consists to two interactive education workshops on Domestic and Family Violence, Sexual Assault, and Consent Awareness, followed by creative workshops that consolidate the information taught in the earlier sessions. Through these creative sessions, students have the opportunity to showcase their artistic talents while encapsulating the key messages of respectful and healthy relationships. Students are given opportunities to showcase their work in the local community.
What does LoveBites aim to achieve?
- To provide a safe environment in which young people can talk about Domestic and Family Violence and Sexual Assault.
- To promote and model respectful relationships for young people
- To raise awareness about Domestic and Family Violence and Sexual Assault – it’s prevalence and forms.
- To engage young people, male and female, on the issues of Domestic and Family Violence and Sexual Assault in a non-sex-segregated environment with male and female facilitators.
- To challenge gender stereotypes, attitudes, values and social institutions that perpetuate male violence against women.
- To deconstruct myths that exist in local communities and society generally on domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
- To encourage and educate young people to support their friends.
- To introduce young people to local support service providers in an informal environment.
In 2017, Sutherland Shire Family Services rolled out the new NAPCAN LoveBites program, and facilitated training of 16 new facilitators, to join the team of 50+ trainers from a range of local services who volunteer their time to deliver this important program in schools.
The Sutherland Shire LoveBites program Facebook page showcases the latest talents of local high school children who have undertaken the program.
For more information about LoveBites, or to schedule a session at your school, please contact Jess from our Schools Project Team on (02) 9548 2734 Ext 105, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org